In the lower part of the town

With its narrow alleys, squares and long thoroughfares
Home / Chiesa di San Domenico Eng

Chiesa di San Domenico

Just opposite the Annunziata stands the Church of San Domenico (o Del Rosario). Built in 1562 and dedicated to San Tommaso, this Church, like others in Paternò, was built between the 17th and 18th centuries and has been restored several times; with the adjacent convent it was the seat of the Dominican Friars. The flat façade in white stone with classical lines was built in 1873. The interior, of a Baroque imprint, comprises a single nave apse with a barrel vault with a fresco of Madonna del Rosario done in the 20th century by Mario Privitera. The simple architectural lines and the sparse decorations highlight the works of art kept here; along the nave, arranged with hieratic elegance, large paintings of the 17th and 18th centuries are on display: San Biagio, San Vincenzo Ferreri, San Tommaso, San Giacinto, and an interesting San Domenico framed by episodes of his life, done by the Paternese artist Carmelo Pappalardo in 1633. Through a small door on the right of the nave you reach the 17th century cappella del Gesù Bambino (chapel of the Baby Jesus) of the confraternity of the same name: a place of suffused spiritual intimacy that preserves a marble altar (1616), an Adorazione dei Magi (Adoration of the Magi) from 1759 and a 17th century wrought iron door.