From the Castle to the Chiesa Madre

Ancient symbols of power
Home / Complesso di San Francesco Eng

Complesso di San Francesco

On the hill, to the south, in the centre of a wide esplanade stands the impressive Complesso di San Francesco (St. Francis complex), created from the remains of a Franciscan convent built in 1346 and from the homonymous church that in the Norman epoch was the royal chapel under the name of St. George. The temple, with a gabled roof, wooden trussed ceiling and single-phased Gothic windows, was restored in the 1980s following the style of the time. The presbytery remained intact, with its square design and ribbed cross vault; the exhibition hall displays traces of medieval frescoes, and has maintained its perfect acoustics. The monastery has also recently been restored: materials and elements of modern architectural design have been added to the original building material in lava stone.