From the Castle to the Chiesa Madre

Ancient symbols of power
Home / Convento dei Frati Cappuccini Eng

Convento dei Frati Cappuccini

In the extreme southern end of the hill, known as the Belvedere, one can spot in the monumental Cemetery, the convent of the Frati Cappuccini (1610) and the adjoining eighteenth-century church of Santa Maria delle Grazie. The Capuccini were based there until 1866, after which the convent was used to house mortuary chapels and niches; the church became instead the cemetery chapel. In the small cloister of the convent there are still two ancient sundials and, in the wall of a balcony facing outwards, there is a mysterious stone with an inscription in Latin. In the stairway that leads to the upper floor one can observe paintings with figures of saints of popular tradition. The church still retains the great altar with the majestic canvas of the 18th century of the Assumption of Mary, placed in a richly carved wooden frame.